Strides is a service to increase the return on investment in research and innovation in agricultural and natural resources to stimulate economic growth. This service is particularly relevant to low income countries. Strides delivers targeted in-service training and supplies the operational tools to identify and quantify stakeholder needs, optimise project design and manage the implementation of the whole project cycle.
The techniques used to support the overall coordination of Strides operations, including training and the project design cycle management, is through an online project cycle and portfolio management system. The foundation of this system is a due diligence design procedure that takes into account all of the specific constraints arising from the complexity facing projects concerned with renewable natural resources including agriculture, forestry, fisheries, water and soil conservation.
ISO/IEC Standard 16262
ISO Process approach
Design methods compliant with OSQI: 1(2017)
The online system adopted by Strides is the Navatec system1.
This service provides a comprehensive but convenient project design system deploying OQSI:1 (2017)2 due diligence design procedures. This represents a significant advance on conventional project cycle system provisions. Design procedures include an optimisation of the project plan from the standpoint of costs, timeliness, output quality, output volume, margins, and revenue, where relevant, and risk. Data processing is supported by powerful proven operations research techniques. Output is in the form of optimised Logical Project Options (LPO)3 from which a preferred project plan can be selected. The project plan can be updated if any significant change occurs during execution that can affect project performance. Navatec monitors all activities using a Real Time Audit (RTA) system. This compares the original or last LPO "plan" to current performance. New LPOs can be generated, when necessary, in response to RTA monitoring alerts to provide timely support for management decisions to keep projects on adjusted, but optimised, paths to achieve the original objectives.
Worldwide there are significant disparities in the mix of information management systems in both private and state organizations. These relate to legacy operating systems, maintenance regimes, the age and capacity of equipment and the capabilities of the software compared with state of the art capabilities. These disparities risk data integrity, operational continuity and security. Most IT systems are on a maintenance and upgrade treadmill that represents a high cost if systems are to remain up to date. The Navatec system minimises operational costs for users by making no software requirements other than a browser and only requiring low capacity systems or "thin clients". This is achieved by placing all of the data processing power and storage in secure high specification servers with global access.
The Navatec system has been designed as an online service leading to significant benefits in terms of effectiveness, efficiency, data security and economy.
The main benefits include:
- No software requirements
- Only need a browser
- System always operates with latest updated version no need for update downloads
- Minimised cost of user hardware - use of thin clients
- Brings extraordinary processing power to mobiles
- Drill down to any level of detail using a mobile enabled by a high speed Plasma DataBase3
- All operational components remain at latest state of advance
- Full time operation of Real Time Audit allowin on-demand analysis and reporting
- Risk assessment simulations
- Full technical, economic and financial assessments of performance
- Optimization for unit costs, timeliness, product throughput, output quality
- Integrated capabilities:
- Integrated international guidelines for the economic evaluation of agricultural projects
- Open Quality Strandards Initiative recommendations OQSI:1 (2017)
- ISO 9000 Process Approach
- Fully comprehensive step-wise due diligence process or project design sequence
- Fully comprehensive simulation bank to optimise and reduce project risks
- Fully operational portfolio management system able to handle any number of distinct projects
- Ad hoc on-demand analysis and reporting on any project in a portfolio
- Full portfolio manager project oversight and analytical process access
1 Navatec System. More information can be accessed at the Navatec website.
2 OQSI:1 (2017) - Open Quality Standards Initiative - further information can be obtained on the OQSI Organisation website.
3 LPO signifies an optimised Logical Process Option design but more generally is known as a Logical Project Option.
4 More information can be obtained on the Plasma DataBase by visiting the Plasma Systems website
5 core ECMAScript is the ECMAScript is the ECMA Standard 262 and the ISO/IEC Standard 16262.
6 core ECMAScript extension for server-side operations and advanced decision support is DScript a development of Vanguard Software Corporation, NC, USA.